Friday 8 October 2010

Research - Product Placement

In the modern day and age there are more ways than ever to expose your target audience to your advertising. Films are advertised in so many ways, through posters in the cinema, on billboards and on bus-stops, also through trailers in the cinema, on the TV and on the internet. The target market has advertisement for film shown to them everywhere they go, and this only offers far more opportunity to advertise my film in the best and most public ways possible.

For the teaser trailer, there will need to be specific programmes on TV which will distribute my teaser trailer to my target audience. Some channels it will be important to use based on the viewers they will get. This means the BBC channels; ITV and Sky will all be excellent distributors of my trailer. However based on the themes of my trailer it will have to be on late night slots with these channels. The BBC has gone through a few financial issues recently and is cutting back everywhere, this means they will be less likely to show my trailer as I will have far less money to offer them than other, bigger films that will have the same idea. Sky would be a perfect distributor of my teaser trailer as with sky movies they would look to buy rights to exclusive distribution of the film for a time after the films release in the cinema. Aiming for Sky would not only give my trailer a huge shot at getting to a wide audience but also give my film an opportunity of distribution on TV after its time in the cinema. To attract more of my target audience, however, it would be a good idea to aim for advertising slots on channels specifically dedicated to horror genre films like the Horror Channel or Zone Horror.

Advertising over the internet is also an important way to show my trailer to my target audience. Windows Live Messenger, YouTube and social networking sites such as Facebook all show advertising for films and this would be a good way to show my target market my advertising. For example when people look up a horror genre video on YouTube my teaser trailer could be on before the video. A website could be created for my film which would have the trailer on so people who want to see the trailer specifically can go straight to the website, facebook groups and other social networking groups could be created to advertise my trailer too.

My film could be advertised ways other than trailers too, magazines that have a focus on my film and advertising posters. The posters could be shown anywhere, from the cinema, to advertising outside supermarkets and bus-stops. Having a horror genre magazine with a main article on my film would be excellent for advertising as it would specifically get to aim at my target audience as they would be the same people who would be buying a horror genre magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment