Thursday 7 October 2010

Research - Focus Questionnaire Results Analysis

I asked 10 people to watch the film link below and these are the general responses each question received, my analysis of the answers and how I will help my own work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB8XYZDu5zs

1) What did you think of the teaser trailer?

Everyone I asked said this was a very good trailer which worked well to convey a snippet of the emotions they were likely to go through, watching the film. Although they were impressed, one person specifically stated ‘it looks good, but I already know the film, I’ve seen the original and this trailer gives me no indication on what different things this remake will give me.’ This tells me that the trailer needs to offer the audience something new to convince them about the film. It is important I remember this when I come to making my own trailer as if the audience feels they have seen this ‘type’ of horror film before they will be less inclined to pay money to go and see/buy it.

2) After seeing this would you want to see the film?

Although everyone was in agreement about the quality of the trailer, it had less of an effect of convincing people to go and see it. Similar to a response to question 1, three people said the trailer didn’t offer them anything different from what they had already seen.

3) If so what parts convinced you to want to see it?

Of those 70% of people who said they would want to see the film after watching the trailer, some of the answers were that it was the curiosity on how a remake would approach the legend which convinced them, others that they were already a fan of the franchise of ‘Freddy Krueger’. 2 people said they hadn’t seen any of the previous films and although they knew about the film, they were attracted to it in the same way a new film would make them go see it. This shows me that curiosity is a major factor in persuading people to go and see a film through the trailer, I should look to play on the audiences curiosity to create a trailer that will convince people to pay to see/buy the film.

4) If not what parts put you off wanting to see it?

The three people who said they would not see the film, all said it was because they had seen the original and didn’t feel that the new film would offer them anything different to the original.

5) How did you feel about the music?

Everyone agreed that the music to the teaser trailer made it a good trailer. People especially felt the child singing combined with the images on the screen made the trailer far more intense and scary, and then the heartbeat sort of sound really changed the pace of the trailer and built it up to the climax where the title of the film is shown

6) Which parts had the most effect on you?

Most people said the music and sudden changes of pace really overwhelmed the senses and made them take in the trailer more making it more real. This tells me that the choice of sound in my trailer is very important but also gives me a hint on the sort of camera work I should use.

7) Did the name of the producer have any effect on your desire to see the film?

4 people said that they were fans of Michael Bay and that he producing the film would have an effect on there choice to see the film, but everyone who said they would want to see the film said that the brand of nightmare on Elm Street alone would be enough to make them watch the film.

8) Did you understand what the film was about?

Everyone said they knew what the film was about because of the brand of nightmare on Elm Street even if they had not seen the original film.

9) How did you feel about the length of the teaser trailer?

8 people said that for a teaser trailer it felt quite long, but the action on screen meant they were not thinking about this, and were thinking about the film instead. This tells me people do prefer shorter teaser trailers, but if the on-screen effect is good enough then the length is not a great issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment